Dr. Myron E. Carmer
Graduated LCS- 1934
Myron Carmer played on the 1933 Basketball and Football Championship Team for Lyons Union School before going to Hamilton College.
While at Hamilton he was one of six seniors awarded highest honors for scholarship in the Pentagon Society. All-around participation in campus activities and sports included starring in football, basketball, and baseball. He continued for a medical degree at Columbia University and served as an officer in the U.S. Naval Reserve during WWII. In 1947 he returned to Lyons following in his father’s medical footsteps by practicing at E.J. Barber Hospital on the corner of Lawrence and Phelps Street. By the time he retired in 1980 he owned the Barber Hospital and had practiced medicine there for over 37 years. He was well known to the students as the school physician and showed compassion and interest in the athletes.
Wayne County residents have a high regard for Dr. Carmer who was active in the community. He served on the Board of Directors at the Lyons National Bank and in 1971 was presented with a plaque by the Lyons Chamber of Commerce as “Man of the Year”.